Michael Clarke poised for comeback with NSW
Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke is in line to make his comeback from injury to lead New South Wales in their Sheffield Shield match against Tasmania this week, team officials said Monday.
Clarke`s availability for Wednesday`s Shield game will be subject to a fitness review over a back injury, a spokesman said.
The star batsman was ruled out of Australia`s one-day tour of India this month with a longstanding back problem, and feared he could miss the first Test against England starting on November 21.
But after intensive treatment for a degenerative disc condition, which has been an issue since he was a teenager, the prognosis is good.
"Michael is progressing well and recently recommenced batting in the nets," Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said in a statement last week.
Clarke`s back problem flared up again before Australia`s final ODI against England in Southampton last month, at the end of a gruelling five-Test Ashes tour to England, which Australia lost 3-0.
He played in that game, but selectors were reluctant to take any more risks given the big home summer coming up, and ruled him out of the India tour.
Other Ashes series contenders playing for NSW this week include paceman Josh Hazlewood, spinner Nathan Lyon, allrounder Steve Smith and batsman David Warner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read