Morgan hopes ODI runs help regain Test place
London: England player Eoin Morgan has said that he believes that big scores during the one-day international series against Australia can get him back a place in the Test squad for the return Ashes series.
According to Metro.co.uk, the Irish cricketer will lead England at Headingley on Friday in the first of five ODIs in the absence of rested captain Alastair Cook , and will pick up from where he left off in Dublin on Tuesday, when an inspiring century helped to lead his side to a six-wicket victory against Ireland.
Stating that he is taking every innings currently as an opportunity to score big runs and to prove what he is capable of doing, the left-handed batsman said that he would be happy if it led to an Ashes call-up for him in November.
Although Morgan has not played Test cricket since being dropped following England`s 3-0 series defeat against Pakistan in the UAE 18 months ago, he however, is hoping that one-day runs can help him get back into the Test team as it was the primary reason he got selected for the Test side in the first place.
Morgan, who has been restricted to just two first-class matches for Middlesex this summer with injury and his involvement in the Indian Premier League, hinted that Kevin Pietersen could be moved up the order in the Headingley ODI with Cook and Ian Bell rested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside