Oz media says Rogers, Warner, Cowan, Hughes, Finch all contenders to open in Ashes
Brisbane: The Australian media has claimed that there is a close fight between Chris Rogers, David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phil Hughes and Aaron Finch to claim the opener spots in the Ashes.
According to the Courier Mail, Warner is a divisive figure in Australian cricket, with some loving his aggressive attitude, with his bat, his mouth, and occasionally his fists and others insisting it makes him ill-suited to Test cricket.
His opening partner for the last two Ashes Tests, Chris Rogers, is the exact opposite, universally praised for his professionalism and persistence after final earning a second shot at the highest level at the age of 35, the report said.
However, the report argued that Phil Hughes and Ed Cowan, who have been almost forgotten, could also prove a point with their recent good form.
Aaron Finch has been in devastating form for Australia recently, setting a world-record for the highest score in a T20 international (156) against England and providing plenty of fireworks on the limited-overs tour of India, the report added.
However, his abysmal record in first-class cricket makes his elevation to the Test side a long shot at best, the report further said.
Simon Katich, who has retired from first-class cricket but still has certain sections of the media clamouring, maybe even praying for a shock Test re-call, according to the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing