Rain delays second day of Ashes finale
London: Rain delayed the scheduled 11.00am local time (1000GMT) start of the second day`s play in the fifth and final Ashes Test between England and Australia at The Oval on Thursday.
At stumps on Wednesday`s first day, Australia were 307 for four as they sought a consolation victory in a five-match series already won by England at 3-0 up.
Shane Watson`s Test-best 176 was the cornerstone of Australia`s imposing total. It was only his third Test hundred -- his first in 25 matches and 48 innings since his previous best of 126 against India at Mohali in October 2010.
All-rounder Watson was especially severe on England debutant bowlers Chris Woakes, a medium-pacer, and left-arm spinner Simon Kerrigan who ended the day with expensive poor combined figures of none for 105 in 23 overs.
England have never won four Tests in a home Ashes series, while it is 36 years since Australia last went through an Ashes without winning a single Test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you