Rain delays second day of Ashes finale
London: Rain delayed the scheduled 11.00am local time (1000GMT) start of the second day`s play in the fifth and final Ashes Test between England and Australia at The Oval on Thursday.
At stumps on Wednesday`s first day, Australia were 307 for four as they sought a consolation victory in a five-match series already won by England at 3-0 up.
Shane Watson`s Test-best 176 was the cornerstone of Australia`s imposing total. It was only his third Test hundred -- his first in 25 matches and 48 innings since his previous best of 126 against India at Mohali in October 2010.
All-rounder Watson was especially severe on England debutant bowlers Chris Woakes, a medium-pacer, and left-arm spinner Simon Kerrigan who ended the day with expensive poor combined figures of none for 105 in 23 overs.
England have never won four Tests in a home Ashes series, while it is 36 years since Australia last went through an Ashes without winning a single Test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster