Smith has last Ashes laugh on England - press
Sydney: Steve Smith, once the butt of the England team`s jokes, had the last laugh as Australia started and finished well in the second Ashes Test, newspapers said on Friday.
England, boosted by Ian Bell`s third hundred in successive Ashes matches, fought back from an early collapse at Lord`s on Thursday.
Yet just when it seemed England had regained control, part-time leg-spinner Smith took three wickets for 18 runs in six overs late in the day to reduce England to 289 for seven at stumps, having been in dire straits at 28 for three.
Australia`s press made much of Smith`s late contribution coming into the attack after the team`s regular bowlers had failed to force home their early advantage.
"England teased Steve Smith during the last Ashes series about being in the Australian team for his jokes. But the home team wasn`t laughing after Smith`s raw leg spin caused a late flurry of wickets at Lord`s," Fairfax Media`s Chloe Saltau said.
"Smith succeeded where the regular bowlers failed, capturing three English scalps including that of Australia`s nemesis, Ian Bell, as England collapsed from 4-271 to 7-289 at stumps."
Saltau said although leg spin was Smith`s second skill nowadays, he could still bamboozle with the ball and was a much-improved cricketer than when he last played against England as an unorthodox-looking batsman.
The Australian`s Wayne Smith mused that "if a bowler not in Australia`s original Ashes squad could star as a batsman in the Trent Bridge Test, why not an initially overlooked batsman as a bowler at Lord`s?"
Australia looked down and out at 117 for nine in last week`s Nottingham Test when left-arm spinner Ashton Agar, a late addition to the touring party, blitzed 98 in a world record last-wicket stand to put them momentarily in front. MORE
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah