Starc `over the moon` after taking `key scalp` of Pietersen in third Ashes Test
Sydney: Australian cricketer Mitchell Starc is reportedly over the moon after getting the key wicket of star England batsman Kevin Pietersen, among his three-wicket haul, in the third day of the thirds Ashes Test at Old Trafford.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, although England`s batting line-up had eluded Australian bowlers and threatened to kill off their Ashes revival at Old Trafford, however, Starc`s dismissal of Pietersen for 113 on Saturday has strengthened the tourists` hopes of victory at Manchester.
The report further said that Michael Clarke`s men are fancying their chances of coming back to 2-1 in the series by the end of the third Test, thanks to Starc, (3-75), who said that he was pleased and happy to get a big scalp, especially like Pietersen`s.
According to Starc, although Pietersen batted well to make his century, he made sure that that the controversial England player did not go ahead of that score, especially as Australia needed to take as many wickets as they could.
Starc further said that Australia`s weary fast bowlers would be prepared to `put in the overs` as quick as they can if England did not compile the 34 runs required to avoid the follow-on on Sunday, and Clarke sent them back in.
However, the report added that had Pietersen, who was apprehensive and then audacious, still had life in his 23rd Test century and fourth against Australia, Starc, who trapped the England star LBW in the final hour of the day, may not have managed to do that.
Snubbed at Lord`s, the report said that Starc can be a bit wayward at times but his trio of top-six wickets on Saturday, including that of England captain Alastair Cook for 62, was the latest evidence of his continuing prowess.
England finished Saturday on 7-294, trailing by 233 runs, with Australia churning diligently through their middle order with an indefatigable performance in the field, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27