Steve Smith, Cowan in squad for first Ashes Test, Warner out
Melbourne: Australian batsman Steve Smith has reportedly been chosen for the middle order batting post ahead of suspended opener David Warner, while Ed Cowan will bat at first drop against England in the first Ashes Test starting on Wednesday.
According to the Courier Mail, Smith, whose innings in the Worcestershire tour game have won over the selectors, will join a batting order that includes Shane Watson and Chris Rogers as openers, while Cowan will bat at No.3, given the nature of the Trent Bridge pitch and his playing experience with Nottinghamshire.
The report further said that Cowan has scored 619 first class runs in England this season, adding that Phillip Hughes looks to have sealed the No. 5 position with captain Michael Clarke to bat at No. 4.
Meanwhile, the report added, fast bowler Peter Siddle appears to have retained his place in the Australian team despite doubts surrounding the bowler after his poor lead-up form. The report further said that Usman Khawaja appears out of contention after missing the Worcester match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price