Taufel calls for `urgent` review of Cricket`s Panel of Elite Umpires
Sydney: ICC Umpire Performance and Training Manager Simon Taufel has said that the current structure of cricket`s Panel of Elite Umpires is in need of urgent review after the fourth Ashes Test at Durham was also hit by controversy surrounding umpiring decisions.
According to Fox Sports, eight of the world`s top 12 umpires currently come from either Australia or England , making them ineligible to officiate in any Ashes Test according to ICC rules.
Taufel, who has never officiated in Test cricket`s greatest battle during his 12-year umpiring career, expressed that all cricketing nations are obliged to produce elite umpires, the report said.
Pressure has mounted on all four umpires who have stood during the Ashes series, Aleem Dar, Kumar Dharmasena, Marais Erasmus and Tony Hill, after a horror run of on and off-field decisions, the report added.
Most recently it has been Hill who has earned the ire of players, commentators and fans for his questionable calls in Durham, the report further said.
Taufel said that it was fair to say that Hill has had the lion`s share of appeals in the fourth Ashes Test and a couple had not gone his way, adding that a lot of work and preparation goes into the performances of every umpire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh