The Ashes 2013: England players apologise for their ‘Monty’ act
Zee Media Bureau/Manushree Chaumal
London: In a statement issued by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), the England team has finally accepted that it got carried away by the Ashes win, and the celebration went too over-the-top, at The Oval in London.
The team has claimed that the act was a simple error of judgment.
“We apologise for that and want to reassure people that it was a simple error of judgement more than anything else," the players said.
It was reported on Monday that Stuart Broad, Kevin Pietersen and James Anderson urinated on The Oval pitch while being cheered by team-mates.
This act by the England team was slammed by former Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne who called their behaviour crass and arrogant. Even the County Surrey, that has the Oval as their home ground had asked for an apology. Sports minister Hugh Robertson also wanted a probe.
The official statement by England team:
"The England cricket team would like to state that during our celebrations after winning the Ashes at no time was there any intention to disrespect Surrey CCC, the Oval or anyone else involved in the game we love.
"As a team we pride ourselves on respecting all things cricket including the opposition and the grounds we play at. We got carried away amongst the euphoria of winning such a prestigious series and accept that some of our behaviour was inappropriate.
"If that has caused any offence to anyone we apologise for that and want to reassure people that it was a simple error of judgement more than anything else."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price