Warner impresses Oz selectors with domestic form ahead of winter Ashes
Melbourne: Australian batsman David Warner has strengthened his claim for selection in the winter Ashes series with his explosive form for New South Wales ( NSW) during the just completed Ryobi Cup, which has impressed chairman of selectors John Inverarity.
According to Telegraph.com.au, the first of three Shield rounds, starting on Wednesday, will give an opportunity to players to fine-tune or stake a claim ahead of the first Test against England , beginning at Brisbane`s Gabba next month.
Hailing Warner`s domestic one-day record score of 197 in the Ryobi Cup semi-final against Victoria as `outstanding` and `compelling`, Inverarity said he believes that Warner learned a lot during the past few months, adding that they are looking forward to Warner taking ahead his Ryobi Cup form in future matches.
Inverarity further said that it has been good for Warner to be settled in his home bed for some months, adding that it had been in his best interests to do that.
Warner needs to make an early impression in the Ashes series after averaging just 24 on the tour of India earlier this year and 23 during the Ashes tour that followed, the report further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion