Warner released from Ashes squad
London: Australia`s opening batsman David Warner, who was dropped from the first Ashes Test, was been released from the squad and will join the Australia A squad in Africa to play Zimbabwe XI and South Africa A, Cricket Australia (CA) said Wednesday.
Warner, who was suspended from the warm-up matches for hitting England batsman Joe Root in a Birmingham bar lost his place to Steve Smith, who will be playing as the No.6 batsman. Warner was overlooked due to his lack of match practice.
Warner will depart later this week and link up with Australia A in Zimbabwe and South Africa.
“David has trained hard and been very supportive of the team and his team-mates during the past few weeks, but his preparation for the First Test was not ideal. He is in need of match practice and runs in the longer format and the Australia A games in Zimbabwe and South Africa will provide him with the best possible opportunity," said National Selector John Inverarity.
Warner, however, will continue being a member of the Ashes squad.
“David remains a member of the Ashes Squad and will return to the England at an appropriate time once we’re happy he has had adequate preparation in match conditions.
“Steve Smith will stay on with the Ashes squad for the full tour in England. As a consequence of this Aaron Finch will take over the captaincy of Australia A while Alex Doolan has been promoted to vice-captain.
“The NSP (National Selection Panel) also announces that Ashton Agar has become an official member of the Ashes squad for the series,” Inverarity said.
Agar, 19, a left-arm spinner made his Test debut after having played just 10 first class matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'