‘Ashes loss could cause upheaval in Oz squad’
Sydney: Former Test captain Mark Taylor has warned that Australian cricket must brace itself for considerable upheaval should the Ashes be lost at home this summer.
Taylor, now a Channel Nine commentator and a director with the Cricket Australia board, said the national team has been playing with enough verve to be winning far more often than it has done.
But he reckoned the humiliation of a home Ashes defeat would remove what goodwill that exists for a side that has slipped to fifth in the world under the watch of captain Ricky Ponting, coach Tim Nielsen and selection chairman Andrew Hilditch.
“I think it could (result in upheaval), no doubt about that, I think if Australia don’t win this series, and it doesn’t matter if it’s an Ashes series or any series in this country, Australia are expected to win at home,” The Age quoted Taylor, as saying on Tuesday.
“If Australia lose this series, I think probably throughout the series you’ll see some changes, not just at the end of it. I’m sure the senior players in particular are aware of that,” he added.
“If Australia are going to win this series they’ve got to try to minimise those really bad days that they’ve had in Test matches in recent times,” said Taylor.
He added: “They’re playing well enough to win games of cricket against the best sides in the world, they’ve just got to make sure they do all they can to turn around those bad moments, make one of them their moment and I’m sure the momentum will go their way.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- Bihar polls: Wave in favour of BJP, will form next government, says Mulayam Singh Yadav