‘Ashes loss could cause upheaval in Oz squad’
Sydney: Former Test captain Mark Taylor has warned that Australian cricket must brace itself for considerable upheaval should the Ashes be lost at home this summer.
Taylor, now a Channel Nine commentator and a director with the Cricket Australia board, said the national team has been playing with enough verve to be winning far more often than it has done.
But he reckoned the humiliation of a home Ashes defeat would remove what goodwill that exists for a side that has slipped to fifth in the world under the watch of captain Ricky Ponting, coach Tim Nielsen and selection chairman Andrew Hilditch.
“I think it could (result in upheaval), no doubt about that, I think if Australia don’t win this series, and it doesn’t matter if it’s an Ashes series or any series in this country, Australia are expected to win at home,” The Age quoted Taylor, as saying on Tuesday.
“If Australia lose this series, I think probably throughout the series you’ll see some changes, not just at the end of it. I’m sure the senior players in particular are aware of that,” he added.
“If Australia are going to win this series they’ve got to try to minimise those really bad days that they’ve had in Test matches in recent times,” said Taylor.
He added: “They’re playing well enough to win games of cricket against the best sides in the world, they’ve just got to make sure they do all they can to turn around those bad moments, make one of them their moment and I’m sure the momentum will go their way.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city