Ashish Bagai steps down as Canada captain
Toronto: Delhi boy Ashish Bagai on Monday resigned as the captain of the Canada cricket team ahead of the Intercontinental Cup in June.
Bagai, who led the team in the 2011 World Cup, will continue to be available for selection as a player.
"It has been an honour to captain my country in the sport I love. I thank everyone in this organisation who helped and supported me throughout my term including administrators, coaches, managers and most of all, the players," Bagai said in a letter to Cricket Canada`s board.
"I undertook each task over the last two years with the primary objective of moving not just the team but also the entire organisation forward."
Bagai was appointed captain for the first time in 2007 Intercontinental Cup but he chose to take up a job of banker in London. The passion for playing got the better of him as he quit his job in 2009 and signed a contract with Cricket Canada to play full-time and was also made the captain.
Cricket Canada thanked Bagai for taking the team through tough times.
"Cricket Canada thanks Ashish for his outstanding contribution to Canadian cricket at a time when circumstances were difficult and challenging," Cricket Canada president Ranjit Saini said in a statement.
"I wish him well and look forward to his continued contribution as a player and strong supporter of Canadian cricket."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day