Ashraf admits Wahab was picked only after clearance from ICC
Karachi: The Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Zaka Ashraf has admitted that left arm pacer Wahab Riaz was selected in the national team for the upcoming England series only after clearance from the ICC.
According to a report in the `Express Tribune` newspaper, Ashraf said in an interview that the PCB had sought clarification from the ICC on the issue of selecting Wahab.
"Since his name was mentioned in the spot-fixing trial in London, as a precautionary measure we didn`t consider him for the matches against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. But we inquired from the ICC if they had any evidence suggesting that Wahab might also be involved in the scandal," said Ashraf.
"It was only after the ICC informed us they had no evidence against Wahab that we told the selectors `they should decide if they want him in the team for the England series`," he added.
Initially the PCB had denied that it had asked for advice from the ICC for considering Wahab for the national selection.
Ashraf admitted that after the involvement of Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif in spot-fixing scandal and their subsequent bans and jail terms, the PCB had become very cautious while dealing with this issue.
He pointed out that the PCB had adopted a policy of taking no risks at all and that was the reason for seeking clarification on Wahab`s status before considering him for selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!