Ashraf admits Wahab was picked only after clearance from ICC
Karachi: The Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Zaka Ashraf has admitted that left arm pacer Wahab Riaz was selected in the national team for the upcoming England series only after clearance from the ICC.
According to a report in the `Express Tribune` newspaper, Ashraf said in an interview that the PCB had sought clarification from the ICC on the issue of selecting Wahab.
"Since his name was mentioned in the spot-fixing trial in London, as a precautionary measure we didn`t consider him for the matches against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. But we inquired from the ICC if they had any evidence suggesting that Wahab might also be involved in the scandal," said Ashraf.
"It was only after the ICC informed us they had no evidence against Wahab that we told the selectors `they should decide if they want him in the team for the England series`," he added.
Initially the PCB had denied that it had asked for advice from the ICC for considering Wahab for the national selection.
Ashraf admitted that after the involvement of Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif in spot-fixing scandal and their subsequent bans and jail terms, the PCB had become very cautious while dealing with this issue.
He pointed out that the PCB had adopted a policy of taking no risks at all and that was the reason for seeking clarification on Wahab`s status before considering him for selection.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata