Ashraf hiring top lawyers to defend himself
Karachi: The suspended Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Zaka Ashraf is hiring top lawyers of the country to defend him in the Islamabad High Court which has stopped him from working in his present capacity.
Sources close to the suspended PCB chief said two well-known lawyers, Hafeez Pirzada and Imtiaz Siddiqui, a former Lahore High Court judge were being considered to defend Ashraf in the case.
The High Court had barred Ashraf from working as PCB chief on a petition filed by a former coach of the Army cricket team which challenges his election and the election process held under the new constitution.
Normally, the PCB`s legal advisor Tafazzul Rizvi looks after all legal matters of the Board and defends the Board.
But, the source said since Rizvi is part of the PCB`s legal team and his participation might be questioned as Ashraf will not be the incumbent PCB chief during the next hearing on June 13.
Ashraf is facing a lot of challenge as nearly nine regional associations have come out in the open against him and also held a joint press conference in Lahore challenging the whole election process through which he was elected on May 9 for a four-year tenure.
They claimed that all the leading associations were ignored and not allowed to take part in the election process. They also said that most of them have yet to receive copies of the new constitution which the PCB claims has been approved by the International Cricket Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise