Ashraf`s statement was uncalled for: Butt
Lahore: Former PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt believes that the statement made by his successor Zaka Ashraf on Indian team management has dented the prospects of an early resumption of bilateral ties between the two nations.
Ashraf had in a statement in Dubai surprised everyone by saying that perhaps India was not keen to play Pakistan because it was afraid of losing to the Pakistanis.
"We`re ready to play against them when their Prime Minister and Board president want the teams to play. Maybe it`s their selectors and team management who are afraid of facing Pakistan," Ashraf had said.
Butt said he was disappointed at the comments made by Ashraf few weeks ago on relations with India. The statement drew no reaction from the Indian cricket board but Butt said he was surprised at the statement when it came out in the media.
"The statement was certainly uncalled for and sent adverse signals across the border. I was personally surprised by the remarks which might have dented the prospect of a bilateral series in the near future, I am afraid," Butt told a TV channel.
Interestingly, Butt himself had got himself into trouble when he accused England cricketer of being involved in fixing and later had to retract his remarks. Ashraf, since he took over as PCB chief in October last year has been trying hard to convince the Indian board to resume bilateral cricket ties but after meeting with no success he said last week that he would not be discussing bilateral cricket ties with Indian officials during his visit to Dhaka for the Asia Cup final.
Ashraf said it was no use talking to the Indian board officials at this juncture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price