Ashraf`s statement was uncalled for: Butt
Lahore: Former PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt believes that the statement made by his successor Zaka Ashraf on Indian team management has dented the prospects of an early resumption of bilateral ties between the two nations.
Ashraf had in a statement in Dubai surprised everyone by saying that perhaps India was not keen to play Pakistan because it was afraid of losing to the Pakistanis.
"We`re ready to play against them when their Prime Minister and Board president want the teams to play. Maybe it`s their selectors and team management who are afraid of facing Pakistan," Ashraf had said.
Butt said he was disappointed at the comments made by Ashraf few weeks ago on relations with India. The statement drew no reaction from the Indian cricket board but Butt said he was surprised at the statement when it came out in the media.
"The statement was certainly uncalled for and sent adverse signals across the border. I was personally surprised by the remarks which might have dented the prospect of a bilateral series in the near future, I am afraid," Butt told a TV channel.
Interestingly, Butt himself had got himself into trouble when he accused England cricketer of being involved in fixing and later had to retract his remarks. Ashraf, since he took over as PCB chief in October last year has been trying hard to convince the Indian board to resume bilateral cricket ties but after meeting with no success he said last week that he would not be discussing bilateral cricket ties with Indian officials during his visit to Dhaka for the Asia Cup final.
Ashraf said it was no use talking to the Indian board officials at this juncture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley