Asia Cup 2014: Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka – AS IT HAPPENED...
Live updates from the 10th match of 2014 Asia Cup between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka being played at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
Sri Lanka innings
Over 35 || Score 132/5
A wicket is what Bangladesh need. But Mathews and de Silva are giving bowlers a tough time. They are batting sensibly. Mathews is playing at 37 and de Silva at 43. Bangladesh have to break this stand if they need a comeback in this match
Over 30 || Score 104/5
Both Mathews and de Silva are trying their best to recover the Sri Lankan innings . Mathews has hit three fours and a magnificent six in his 30-run innings so far. He's looking good at the crease. Sri Lanka need this partnership to grow.
Over 25 || Score 80/5
Another wicket has fallen. This time it is Thirimanne who could not get the timing right while trying to hit a tossed up delivery towards the fence. Rubel Hossain pulls off a brilliant catch at the straight boundary. Bangladesh on top right now.
Thirimanne c Rubel Hossain b Arafat Sunny 33 (60b)
Over 20 || Score 63/4
Tight bowling indeed, especially Rahman who has given only 9 runs in four overs so far. Sri Lankan batsmen have played lot of dot balls in the last few overs and finding it hard to charge.
Over 15 || Score 48/4
OUT. Ziaur Rahman has provided a much-needed breakthrough. Priyanjan who was batting well departs. An edge from Priyanjan's bat was caught brilliantly by Anamul Haque. Fourth wicket down. Sri Lanka struggling.
Priyanjan c Anamul Haque b Ziaur Rahman 24 (38)
Over 10 || Score 30/3
Priyanjan and Thirimanne have provided some respite to their team by showing resilience to the Bangladesh's bowling attack. No wicket has fallen in the last five overs.
Over 5 || Score 16/3
Fatal bowling by Al-Amin Hossain. He has scalped Kusal Perera and mighty Sangakkara in a quick succession. Mahela Jayawardene's run-out has added to Sri Lanka's woes. Bangladesh would definitely want to capitalise on the back to back wickets.
K Perera c Anamul Haque b Al-Amin Hossain 0 (2b)
K Sangakkara c Nasir Hossain b Al-Amin Hossain 2 (5b)
MJayawardene run out 0 (5b)
Over 50 || Score 204/9
Five wides in a single over by Mendis. Though effective bowling in death overs by Lankans. They took three wickets in the last five overs and restricted Bangladesh to a meagre 204. Sri Lanka need 205 to win the match. They have been impressive through out the series.
Nasir Hossain c Jayawardene b Lakmal 30 (49b)
Ziaur Rahman b NLTC Perera 12 (14b)
Rubel Hossain b NLTC Perera 0 (1b)
Over 45 || Score 177/6
In the last five overs, Sri Lankan bowlers have conceded 33 runs. However, a crucial wicket in the form of Mahmudullah has given them relief. Mahmudullah couldn't handle Lakmal's yorker. Bangladesh lose their sixth.
Mahmudullah b Lakmal 30 (41b)
Over 40 || Score 144/5
Both the batsmen Mohammad Mahmudullah and Nasir Hossain are playing cautiously. The team cannot afford to lose wickets at this moment. Bangladesh need a partnership that can take them towards a challenging total.
Over 35 || Score 126/5
Desperation for boundaries costs Bangladesh their all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan. Shakib tried to repeat the same shot which gave him four at the extra cover. But this time Priyanjan knew Shakib's intention and bowled accordingly. An easy catch to Mathews at mid-wicket. Shakib departs. Bangladesh in real trouble.
Shakib Al Hasan c Mathews b Priyanjan 20 (32b)
Over 30 || Score 108/4
Bangladeshi batsmen continue to falter. This time its Anamul Haque. Thirimanne's superb dive at midwicket did the trick. Priyanjan gets his first wicket. Kudos to Thirimanne though.
Anamul Haque c Thirimanne b Priyanjan 49 (86b)
Over 25 || Score 97/3
Bangladesh is losing track. Mushfiqur Rahim OUT. Rahim was beaten by a Silva's delivery which angled in, hitting his pad. Bowden upheld the appeal. Replays showed the ball would have hit middle-leg stump.
Mushfiqur Rahim lbw b de Silva 4 (6b)
Over 20 || Score 84/2
After a good start to their innings, Bangladesh have lost two quick wickets in the form of Shamsur Rahman and Mominul Haque, both falling to Ajantha Mendis.
Both the batting side to post a defend-able total against the Lankans, they will need to play well against the slow bowlers, specially the crafty Mendis.
For Sri Lanka, Chaturanga de Silva has been exceptional, troubling batsmen, albiet without success.
In between, Anamul Haque is well course for a career fifty. The gritty wicket-keeper batsman is on 37 from 59 balls, with the help of a six and two fours.
Over 18.6 || Score 76/2
Another wicket for Mendis
Another tossed-up delivery returned with a wicket. Two wickets in an over, in a space of four balls.
Newly-arrived Mominul Haque tried to play a expansive shot against the celebrated spin bowler and ended up with his wickets dismantled.
Mominul Haque b Ajantha Mendis 1 (2b)
Over 18.2 || Score 74/1
Ajantha Mendis has done the trick for his captain. The 28-year-old spinner got the better for Shamsur Rahman. The Bangladesh opener, who was batting beautifully, failed to connect the tossed-up delivery from Mendis.
And the umpire had no hesitation adjudging the batsman leg before the wicket.
Shamsur Rahman lbw b Ajantha Mendis 39 (57b)
Over 15 || Score 62/0
Having spent some good time in the centre, both the Bangladesh openers have started to make shots, opening their defences in search for quick runs.
Rahman, on 35 runs from 50 balls, has been the main aggressor.
Mendis, who was introduced in the 15th over, gave away nine runs in his first over.
All in all, this has been a satisfactory start for the hosts against a a potent Sri Lankan attack.
Over 10 || Score 39/0
In the eighth over, Sri Lankan skipper Angelo Mathews made the first bowling change by bringing Sachithra Senanayake. The lanky off-break bowler replaces Thisara Perera.
In the last five overs, the scoring rate has been increased. Now, after 10 overs, the run rate approaching four an over with Shamsur Rahman on 23 from 35 ball with four hits to the boundary and Anamul Haque on 15 from 25 balls with two fours.
Over 5 || Score 16/0
It has been a rather quite start to the innings. Both the Bangladeshi openers – Shamsur Rahman and Anamul Haque, in a bid to lay a solid foundation for the team, are playing safe, leaving good balls.
For Sri Lanka, Suranga Lakmal and Thisara Perera are keeping it simple, bowling tight-line without much experimentation.
Here are the teams:
Bangladesh: Shamsur Rahman, Anamul Haque (wk), Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim (capt.), Shakib Al Hasan, Nasir Hossain, Mahmudullah, Ziaur Rahman, Arafat Sunny, Rubel Hossain, Al-Amin Hossain
Sri Lanka: Kusal Perera, Lahiru Thirimanne, Kuamr Sangakkara (wk), Mahela Jayawardene, Ashan Priyanjan, Angelo Mathews (capt.) Chaturanga de Silva, Thisara Perera, Sachithra Senanayake, Ajantha Mendis, Suranga Lakmal
Bangladesh have won the toss and elected to bat first.
Mirpur: It`s indeed sad to say that the final league game of 2014 Asia Cup will be an inconsequential one. Sri Lanka and Pakistan have already booked their places in the final of the continental tournament, to be played on March 8 at Dhaka.
However, the teams involved in today`s match – hosts Bangladesh and table toppers Sri Lanka will fight it out for prestige and form at the historic Shere Bangla National Stadium here.
For the hosts, the tournament has proved to be a disaster. They have lost all their matches, including the one against Afghanistan. A win against the finalists Sri Lanka, in their final game of the tournament, will only help them regain some pride in front of their home fans.
Sri Lanka, having won all their games so far, will hope to extend the winning streak going into the final. A loss against the battling Bangladeshi side, in all probability, might derail their preparation ahead of the final against Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe