Didn`t expect so much dew, says Kohli after loss to Sri Lanka
Fatullah (Bangladesh): India skipper Virat Kohli said the dew on the ground was "way beyond our expectations" but credited his bowlers for taking their Asia Cup match against Sri Lanka into the last over, here today.
Sri Lanka chased down the 265-run target set by India in 49.2 overs, courtesy a marvellous century by experienced wicketkeeper-batsman Kumar Sangakkara.
"I think the bowlers did a good job, there was a lot of dew in the end. We didn`t expect so much dew because there wasn`t so much of it yesterday. But credit to them (bowlers) to take it to the last over," Kohli said at the presentation ceremony.
While praising all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja for tilting the match in India`s favour with two quick strikes, Kohli said his batsman could have added 25-odd runs to the eventual total had they batted more smartly.
"We could have been smarter with our batting and could have added 25-30 runs more. Jadeja was magnificent with the ball. To give just 30 runs on that wicket and pick up three was just brilliant from Jadeja. We were just waiting for the ball to turn before the dew," he said.
Jadeja bagged the wickets of Mahela Jayawardene, Dinesh Chandimal and Chaturanga de Silva to help India tighten the noose on the Lankan batting in the middle overs.
Meanwhile, Sangakkara, who made a breathtaking 83-ball 103, said he was trying to stay till the end and the dew made his job easier.
"My job was to stay there for as long as possible and stay competitive. The dew on the ground made it a lot easier for me. We had a great opening partnership which really set us up. And with Thisara in the end, we knew he could do the job. It was a team effort overall," the 36-year-old veteran said.
"I think handling pressure comes with experience. It`s been a few good months for me, I`ve worked hard on my fitness and experience counts," he said.
Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews praised his bowlers for restricting India to a manageable total.
"We looked to play good cricket and we did well to restrict them to 260. The spinners did a beautiful job. And then the champion came in to play a terrific knock," Mathews said.
Spinner Ajantha Mendis bagged four wickets for Sri Lanka and prevented the Indian side from finishing on a high.
"Yes, Mendis is our trump card. We chose to bowl first as the dew factor comes in to play in the second innings. Our spinners did really well to contain India," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow