Here`s how Team India scripted their own doom in Asia Cup
Zee Media Bureau/ Yogesh Pandey
New Delhi: If Team India`s rout at the hands of Kiwis and Proteas was partially attributed to the unfavourable conditions overseas, their recent poor show in Asia Cup exposed some gaping holes prevalent in the side which need to be taken in view and should be rectified as early as possible.
Lifting the Asia Cup title was something India desperately needed in the backdrop of drawing blank in South Africa and New Zealand. But team`s lacklustre performance in the ongoing series in Bangladesh has shattered the popular belief that Men in Blue are masters of playing on sub-continent pitches.
Here are some of the reasons why Team India faltered in Asia Cup:
# Bowling has been India`s perennial problem and again it continued to haunt the side in Bangladesh. The genesis of this problem may lay in the undue favour extended to some bowlers despite glaring degeneration seen in their strengths. Talents of spinners like Pragyan Ojha and Amit Mishra are not being harnessed properly. While Ojha has been forced into oblivion, Mishra sits in the squad only as a show piece and has been hardly handed over an opportunity.
#Cheteshwar Pujara is also a victim of same underestimation of a bright talent. His inclusion in the playing XI was also put on hold. Pujara if given a chance to bat at number 4, can be a force to reckon with. As the World Cup is looming large, India need a batsman like him to infuse some stability in the brittle middle-order.
#Despite the presence of bunch of young players who make billions in cash-rich IPL, India team have become victim of crucial fumbles in their fielding department. Earlier, only senior players were blamed for their lethargy in the field, but young-bloods committing the same mistakes is alarming. In New Zealand too, India dropped important catches.
#India erred by not sacking coach Duncan Fletcher after subsequent drubbing abroad, for he has been unable to bring the team`s performance back on track. Indian side is in total disarray and it`s coach`s responsibility to diagnose the problems and prevent their augmentation.
# Indian Team missed MS Dhoni both as a wicket-keeper and a mighty middle-order batsman. Dhoni`s replacement Dinesh Karthik has failed to display his best behind the stumps. The onus lies fully on him for missing two stumping chances in the match against Sri Lanka and Pakistan at the most crucial stages. Dhoni`s presence could have given impetus to struggling lower middle-order – visible in the matches against Pakistan and Sri Lanka and could have helped India put more runs on the board.
It`s high time the group regained their lost mojo, especially when they have an uphill task to stake claim on the World cup title next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam