Asif, Amir submit appeals against ICC suspension
Lahore: Mohammed Amir and Mohammed Asif, two of the three Pakistan players implicated in the spot-mixing scandal, have appealed against their provisional suspension by the International Cricket Council (ICC) under its anti-corruption code.
The third tainted player, Salman Butt, had already filed his appeal in this regard, and the ICC Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat, had confirmed receiving it, saying that his formal appeal was evidence that the "time-consuming" probe was moving forward, The Nation reported.
"That in itself is good progress," he added.
Lorgat said that in his view, it would be very unfair to castigate the entire (Pakistan) team, or even the nation.
"I`m confident that we`ve followed the proper process and have an arguable case for those players to answer," he stated, adding, "These are a few individuals that need to be dealt with," he said.
Following fears looming over the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Lorgat said he was "very confident" of the ability of the Indian sub-continent to host the upcoming World Cup,
Meanwhile, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will not provide any financial assistance to the tainted trio in their appeal against the ICC suspension.
An appeal hearing is expected to take place on October 28 and 29 as per the ICC`s anti-corruption code of conduct for provisional suspensions, where `it shall be the burden of the ACSU`s general manager to establish: (a) that there is a strong, arguable case against the player on the charge(s) that have been made against him; and (b) that, in such circumstances, the integrity of the sport could be seriously undermined if a provisional suspension was not imposed against him."