Assam`s Dheeraj Jadhav hits ton against Jharkhand
Dhanbad (Jharkhand): A chanceless century by Dheeraj Jadhav (102) and his 135-run partnership for the second wicket with Amit Sinha (79 batting) gave Assam solid start to reach 234/3 against Jharkhand on the first day of their Ranji Trophy Plate league Group B match on Tuesday.
After winning the toss, Assam captain Gokul Sharma elected bat first on the placid wicket of the Railway Stadium. Though opener Pallav Das (27) did not last long as Jharkhand spinner Shahbaz Nadeem had him leg before, he added 58 runs with the other opener Dheeraj Jadhav.
Sinha then joined Jadhav and they kept on scoring in the absence of hosts` speedster Varun Arron who is doing national duty. At Lunch Assam were 68/1.
The batsmen completed their half-centuries in fashion before tea when the visitors were 189/1.
Jadhav completed his well-deserved century after tea. However, he did not stay for long after that and was caught by Manish Vardhan off Samar Quadri.
Jadav scored his 102 facing 213 deliveries hitting nine fours and an over boundary during his 280-minute stay in the middle. It was his third century this season.
Sinha has so far hammered 12 fours in his 79 run which came facing 198 ball.
Qadri struck for a second time having Sibsankar Roy (11), who came after the fall of Jadhav, leg before.
For Jharkhand, Samar Quadri claimed two wickets conceding 74 runs while local lad Nadeem took one for 82.
When stumps were drawn three overs before the stipulated 90 overs due to bad light, Amit Sinha (79) and Tajinder Balbir Singh (6) were at the crease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi