Auckland Test, Day 2: New Zealand hold slight edge over England
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Auckland: England made a strong comeback on the third day of the Auckland Test against New Zealand after a spirited performance by fast bowler Steven Finn, who matched up his career best Test bowling figures of six for 125 runs.
England finished the second day’s proceeding at 50 for two, preceeding by 393 runs.
The Kiwis put up a strong performance in first inning after notching up 443.
Finn, started the day off with a major breakthrough, dismissing Peter Fulton for a well-made 136. He then wiped off his remaining targets knocking out the final four kiwi batsmen in less than 4 overs.
England showed early signs of nerve as opener Alistair Cook was dismissed in the third over for just 4 runs.
Blout followed up with the wicket off Jonathan Trott who made only 27 runs as he caught Trott all hands beaten, a straight leg before wicket.
Nick Compton and Ian Bell saw out the day till stumps, playing at 12 and 6, respectively.
Jonathan Trott reached 27 before he followed Cook back to the pavilion when Boult beat him off the pitch to be leg before wicket and England were two for 44. England didn’t take any chances as they finished the final six overs with only nine runs.
New Zealand would be anything but satisfied, after starting off the day at 250 for one. They would’ve liked to take more from the day’s play. However, their bowling performance was reassuring to say the least.
The pair of Fulton and Williamson carried on the good form of the Kiwis into the second day, only to be cut short after 10 runs. The final nine wickets fell for 183 runs on a docile wicket which Finn exploited to the fullest.
The previous career record in Tests set by Finn was against Australia, in Brisbane 2010 Ashes series.
Wicketkeeper Matt Prior was all safe hands as he took 5 catches in the inning. The set included a spectacular one-handed diving effort to get rid of Fulton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand