Aus MP questions Gillard over award to Sachin
Melbourne: An Australian politician has questioned Prime Minister Julia Gillard`s decision to award an Order of Australia to cricketer Sachin Tendulkar for his contribution to sport.
Federal Independent MP Rob Oakshott who expressed his love for Little Master, said the special award should not be used for diplomatic gain, the ABC news reported.
"I love Sachin Tendulkar, I love cricket. But I just have a problem with soft diplomacy as you call it," he said, adding "Getting in on the act of the Australian honours."
Oakeshott said the Order should be focused on recognising Australians doing community work instead.
"I`m not going to die in a ditch over it...But it`s about the integrity of the honours list which should be for Australians," he said.
He said that Tendulkar was an "obvious diplomatic touch point", and further suggested setting up an inter-nation gong, such as an "Australia-India award".
Yesterday Gillard, who is currently on her three day visit in New Delhi, had announced that Tendulkar would receive the special honour.
"This is a very special honour, very rarely awarded to someone who is not an Australian citizen or an Australian national," she said.
"He is away playing cricket - surprise, surprise - but the award will be conferred on him by Minister [Simon] Crean when [he] visits India," he said.
ABC also quoted Australia India Youth Dialogue chairman Ruchir Punjabi as saying that approach has worked with the Indian public.
"I think perhaps the Order of Australia to Sachin Tendulkar is probably going to be bigger than the nuclear issue," he said.
"I think the nuclear issue is a trust issue with the Indian government whereas the Order of Australia to Sachin Tendulkar is going to be the headline in most newspapers here. And I think ... Things like that play an important role in bringing the two countries closer," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing