Aussie pacemen jostling for spots in first Ashes Test
Sydney: Australia`s entire fast bowling arsenal is battling it out to impress National Selector John Inverarity for a place in the first Ashes Test.
Inverarity said that three of the quicks will play in the opening match at Somerset in Taunton on Wednesday and the other three will play in the second and the final game against Worcestershire in the next week.
Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Starc, Jackson Bird and James Faulkner are competing to secure a position in the team.
The batting performance in Taunton will indicate who will play against England in the Trest Bridge match as Inverarity has plans for 17-men squad.
Inverarity said that the team has seven batsmen including Steve Smith and five will play both games and two will play one game.
Michael Clarke will be playing on Wednesday against Somerset unless he suffers from another lapse with his back.
Harris and Jackson Bird had been recovering from Achilles and back injuries and were under careful management plan but with the Australia A`s final tour game have emerged unscathed although a bit sore.
Pattinson bowled well in other matches for Australia A, Siddle is considered the leader of the attack while Faulkner was very impressive for Australia in the Champions Trophy.
Meanwhile, left-armer Mitchell Starc appeared to be the main worry as he was tentative against England in the Champions Trophy after his return from ankle surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers