Aussie spinners studying English attack ahead of India series
Melbourne: Ahead of the upcoming four-Test series against India, Australian spin specialists Nathan Lyon and Xavier Doherty are studying the performance of English spinners, which brought the downfall of Indians during their historic victory last December.
Indians, traditionally good players of spin, were troubled by England`s Greame Swann and Monty Panesar in the Test series played in December last year.
"I watched it (Ind-Eng series) more as a spectator rather than for research, thinking I wasn`t going to be a part of it," Doherty told `Sydney Morning Herald`.
"But watching the way they bowled, with some extra pace and really getting the ball to fizz off the wicket, I`ll be looking harder at some of that footage again. They (Swann and Panesar) led their attack and unexpectedly won England the series," the 30-year-old said.
Australia`s incumbent Test spinner Nathan Lyon said he hasn`t prepared any plans on how to bowl in spin-friendly Indian conditions.
"My bowling is totally different to anyone else`s, which is a big positive. It will be a big key for me going over early and spending a couple of weeks over there before the first Test," Lyon, who is among the batch of players who are leaving early for India, said.
"I`ll have to do some big training sessions and use the trial games before the first Test to find out what I think is right for the conditions for myself to bowl in," he added.
Australia will play two warm up games ahead of the opening Test against India, starting from February 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why