Aussies gear up for T20s against Sri Lanka
Colombo: Australia`s Twenty20 captain Cameron White said on Wednesday that he expects a tough contest against the hosts Sri Lanka during two upcoming matches.
Australia will play the Twenty20 games on Saturday and Monday at the newly-built Pallekele International Stadium near Kandy, before taking on the hosts in five one-day internationals and three Tests.
"The Sri Lankan team is obviously a very strong one," said White, who is slated to return home after the Twenty20 games as he is not a part of the one-day and Test squads.
"I think they showed in England in the shorter formats they are in very good form, so I think the Sri Lankan team will be a very hard one to beat. We`ll have to play well."
White, who has so far led Australia in just two Twenty20 matches, said he was enjoying the new role as captain.
"I`m enjoying it a hell of a lot to be honest," said the Victorian, who turns 28 later this month.
"We`ve trained hard and I think our preparation is well on the way to having us in a very good spot come Saturday for the first game."
Sri Lanka skipper Tillakaratne Dilshan insisted that his team would not be taking Australia lightly despite the youthful look to the tourists` squad.
"Australia usually play very hard. They may be a bit inexperienced. But they are tough opponents," Dilshan said in Colombo on Thursday.
The skipper will be without injured opening bowler Lasith Malinga for the two Twenty20 matches against Australia but said he wanted his younger players to take the opportunity to perform for the side.
Australia and Sri Lanka have so far played four Twenty20 matches, with each team winning two.
Australia Twenty20 squad: Cameron White (capt), Shane Watson, David Warner, Brad Haddin, Shaun Marsh, David Hussey, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith, Steve O`Keefe, John Hastings, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, James Pattinson.
Sri Lanka Twenty20 squad: Tillakaratne Dilshan (capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Dinesh Chandimal, Angelo Mathews, Jeevan Mendis, Dilruwan Perera, Thisara Perera, Dhammika Prasad, Suranga Lakmal, Ajantha Mendis, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suraj Randiv, Rangana Herath, Chamara Silva, Shaminda Eranga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena