Australia can apply finishing touches before quarters
Banglore: Champions Australia have already booked their quarter-final spot and will hope to iron out any creases in their form against Canada in a World Cup Group A match at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium on Wednesday.
Unbeaten so far, with three wins and one match washed out, Ricky Ponting`s men play the second of three matches this week before they move on to stiffer competition in the knockout stages. On Sunday, Australia beat Kenya by 60 runs.
Australia will play Pakistan in Colombo next Saturday in what will be each team`s last match in the round-robin stage.
The Australian batting line-up, bolstered by the return of Mike Hussey, will look to have another field day against Canada`s fairly blunt attack on the batting-friendly pitch as the business end of the tournament approaches.
Ponting will aim to get some runs under his belt himself and may shuffle the batting order to get Cameron White higher up the order to allow him to spend some time in the middle too.
The skipper also has suggested that he might rest fast bowler Shaun Tait and give John Hastings his World Cup debut.
The Aussie spinners, Jason Krejza and Steve Smith, have been disappointing so far this in tournament, and will look to get some wickets against the North Americans whose best batsmen -- captain Ashish Bagai and Jimmy Hansra -- will still be exhausted after their efforts in vain against New Zealand on Sunday.
Both Bagai and Hansra made half centuries but were badly affected by cramp on a baking day in Mumbai.
This is Canada`s last match in the tournament and their only win in the tournament has been against Kenya. They will want to bow out with their heads held high in what is also the final match of the tournament at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre