Australia can be number 1 in 12 months: Tim Nielsen
Melbourne: Impressed by Australian team`s resurgence post Ashes humiliation, former national coach Tim Nielsen says the side could regain the top spot in world cricket within 12 months.
Nielsen had to step down after England crushed Australia 3-1 in the last Ashes series and South African Mickey Arthur replaced him.
Nielsen said Arthur has brought some positive changes in the side and the selectors too have done a good job by blooding youngsters in the side.
"I am sure a change of voice has been positive, a different perspective. Mickey has had the challenge of having new players come into the side," said Nielsen, referring to openers David Warner, Ed Cowan, pace tyros James Pattinson, and Pat Cummings.
"There is a genuine enthusiasm and want from some blokes to make their mark. Change is never a negative thing and the selectors have done a good job to pick the young players who have been on the horizon," Nielsen said.
He also said that it was not the case that after Ashes defeat Australia were thrown out of contention and that the top-team tag is well within its reach.
"We were never that far away. We got beaten by a England who were an excellent cricket side last year. It didn`t mean we are crap. Australia could be the No.1 Test side in 12 months," Nielsen were quoted as saying by `Daily Telegraph`.
"We knock over West Indies, then South Africa and have every reason to go to the Ashes as contenders to the throne,`` he said," he added.
Nielsen noticed big positive changes pace duo of Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus.
"The biggest improvement has come from Siddle and Hilfy who have had the courage and willingness to pitch the ball up," noted Nielsen.
Nielsen had a very successful stint as Australia coach as he presided over nine Test series wins in 15 and 19 triumphs out of 25 one-day series after replacing John Buchanan in 2007 before being forced to resign.
Nielsen also advised Australia top not take the foot of the pedal and go all out against India in the Adelaide Test.
"I hope they continue their momentum and win inside three days in Adelaide. There is definitely potential for a 4-0 sweep. Australia has got them under real mental pressure and a game hold over them.”
"You give up a little bit and all of a sudden they can come back. I expect the India players need to make some decisions how hard they are willing to fight in Adelaide," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue