Australia is the next target: Srikkanth
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Terming India’s just concluded disastrous England tour as a “bad dream”, chief selector Krishnamachari Srikkanth said the team needs to focus on the future series. The chief selector was under fire after India failed to register a single win during the whole series in England.
BCCI, under new President N Srinivasan, had decided to extend Srikkanth`s term by one more year as per provisions in its rules. While thanking the BCCI for extending his contract, Srikkanth said India has enough firepower to become the best team in the world.
"I`m thankful to the BCCI for extending our contract and placing faith in this committee. Whatever has happened in the past is a bad dream and now we have to look at the future and ensure that we do well from here,” he told a newspaper in an interview.
The next target for India is to ensure that the selectors pick a team which does well in Australia later this year. "Australia is the next target. We have a couple of home series before that and from those matches we`ll try and pick the best possible combination for Australia. We have to make up for the loss in England," he said.
India were beaten 0-4 in the Test series in England, 0-3 in the five-match ODI series and lost the solitary Twenty20 as well. "In the last three years of my tenure, this was the worst performance by the Indian team. It happens and we have to be patient with the team. We have to take corrective measures to ensure that things fall in place. You can`t forget all the good things that happened before the England series,” he added.
"We won the World Cup and our cricketers didn`t get time to soak in the celebration. Prior to that, we have done well in different conditions. This is a testing time for Indian cricket and we need to try out different things to ensure that we are able to come back with a bang," the former Indian opener said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’