Australia is the next target: Srikkanth
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Terming India’s just concluded disastrous England tour as a “bad dream”, chief selector Krishnamachari Srikkanth said the team needs to focus on the future series. The chief selector was under fire after India failed to register a single win during the whole series in England.
BCCI, under new President N Srinivasan, had decided to extend Srikkanth`s term by one more year as per provisions in its rules. While thanking the BCCI for extending his contract, Srikkanth said India has enough firepower to become the best team in the world.
"I`m thankful to the BCCI for extending our contract and placing faith in this committee. Whatever has happened in the past is a bad dream and now we have to look at the future and ensure that we do well from here,” he told a newspaper in an interview.
The next target for India is to ensure that the selectors pick a team which does well in Australia later this year. "Australia is the next target. We have a couple of home series before that and from those matches we`ll try and pick the best possible combination for Australia. We have to make up for the loss in England," he said.
India were beaten 0-4 in the Test series in England, 0-3 in the five-match ODI series and lost the solitary Twenty20 as well. "In the last three years of my tenure, this was the worst performance by the Indian team. It happens and we have to be patient with the team. We have to take corrective measures to ensure that things fall in place. You can`t forget all the good things that happened before the England series,” he added.
"We won the World Cup and our cricketers didn`t get time to soak in the celebration. Prior to that, we have done well in different conditions. This is a testing time for Indian cricket and we need to try out different things to ensure that we are able to come back with a bang," the former Indian opener said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP