Australia must target Amla to beat Proteas: McGrath
Melbourne: Pace legend Glenn McGrath has said Australia must target No.3 batsman Hashim Amla if they are to beat world No.1 ranked Test side South Africa.
McGrath’s targeting of key opposition batsmen was a feature during Australia’s era of dominance and the 124-Test veteran is urging Peter Siddle and his fellow Australian quicks to follow his lead.
He said Amla’s form makes his wicket crucial among a talent-stacked batting line-up, if Australia hope to unseat Proteas in the wake of their away victory over England, which secured the No.1 ranking, The AAP reports.
McGrath said: “Amla has been in incredible form. You look at his form in England recently where he just dominated, he was just so good. He is definitely that (the cornerstone of their batting).
“Jacques Kallis is another quality player, they have such a strong batting line-up the South Africans, there is no real weakness in their side. They have JP Duminy at seven and AB de Villiers before him is also a very good player, so it will be very important for Australia to get wickets early.”
McGrath nominated Siddle as the man to shake up the South Africans in the series, which starts in Brisbane on November 9 and believed he has plenty of quality support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez