Australia must target Amla to beat Proteas: McGrath
Melbourne: Pace legend Glenn McGrath has said Australia must target No.3 batsman Hashim Amla if they are to beat world No.1 ranked Test side South Africa.
McGrath’s targeting of key opposition batsmen was a feature during Australia’s era of dominance and the 124-Test veteran is urging Peter Siddle and his fellow Australian quicks to follow his lead.
He said Amla’s form makes his wicket crucial among a talent-stacked batting line-up, if Australia hope to unseat Proteas in the wake of their away victory over England, which secured the No.1 ranking, The AAP reports.
McGrath said: “Amla has been in incredible form. You look at his form in England recently where he just dominated, he was just so good. He is definitely that (the cornerstone of their batting).
“Jacques Kallis is another quality player, they have such a strong batting line-up the South Africans, there is no real weakness in their side. They have JP Duminy at seven and AB de Villiers before him is also a very good player, so it will be very important for Australia to get wickets early.”
McGrath nominated Siddle as the man to shake up the South Africans in the series, which starts in Brisbane on November 9 and believed he has plenty of quality support.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India