Australia`s Lee, Gilchrist praise Flintoff
Sydney: Australian fast bowler Brett Lee on Friday praised former rival Andrew Flintoff, who in the defining image of the 2005 Ashes series slung a consoling arm around the distraught Aussie paceman.
Lee said Flintoff may have jokingly whispered to him "one-one you Aussie bastard" when the photo was taken at the end of the Edgbaston Test, during which Lee fell agonizingly short of batting his side to victory.
"That might have been thrown in there. It`s for general viewing so I couldn`t really make those comments here tonight," Lee told reporters in Sydney.
"Probably one of the most special moments in my career was that 2005 Ashes series and certainly that epic battle that we had at Edgbaston.”
"Even though we lost, I`d still put that down as one of my favourite games, purely the way it was played in and the sportsmanship that was on show."
Flintoff ended his cricketing career on Thursday after medical advice that his right knee required a third opertation.
Lee described the 32-year-old as "that lovable character."
"Not real lovable though when he`s bowling 95 miles an hour at your ribs, I can testify to that," Lee said.
"He`s just a guy that has just given his all, who`s been great for world cricket, and his sportsmanship is just second to none.”
"He`s an absolute beauty."
Former Australian Test vice-captain Adam Gilchrist said he felt his own retirement was a day for celebration, as he praised Flintoff`s grit and passion to win the Ashes.
"To hear someone say they`re sad and disappointed tells me that it`s been cut a bit shorter than he would have liked," Gilchrist told reporters.
"England owe him a lot because (in) 2005 where he just at all costs, was going to deliver those Ashes for his country.”
"I don`t think his body ever really recovered from that, the sustained pressure that he put on himself and endured."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended