Australia still aiming for top spot despite England hammering, says Clarke
Sydney: Australia captain Michael Clarke has said the team’s goal to become number one in every format of the game hasn’t changed despite getting hammered 4-0 by England in the five-match one-day series.
The number ranked team in one-day internationals, Australia, took a jolt in their ambitions after getting humbled in England with a near whitewash, albeit for a rain abandonment, but skipper Clarke still has lofty aspirations for the side.
“I would like to say our goal is to be No.1 in all three forms of the game. We have been giving guys an opportunity through one-day cricket to have a look at them for Tests as well but I don`t think we have prioritised Test cricket to a level to say we will sacrifice T20 or one-day,” a daily quoted Clarke, as saying.
“Australians want to be the best at what they do and my goal is to stay at No.1 in the one-day format, get back there in the one-day format,” he added.
“I think we have enough good players in the country. We are going to have to work our backsides off but I think we have enough talent to be No.1 in all three forms of the game,” he said.
Clarke said he also realises their ambition faces a major threat from old foes England, and admitted that the poms have the best bowling attack in world for now.
“England`s bowling attack is the best there is at the moment,” Clarke said.
“They have experience and have played a lot of cricket together. It takes a long period of time to be No.1 in the world in the Test format and they`re heading that way in the one-day format,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow