Australia strike back in second Test
Johannesburg: Australia claimed four wickets before lunch to bowl themselves back into contention on the fourth day of the second and final Test against South Africa at the Wanderers Stadium on Sunday.
South Africa were 314 for seven at lunch, an overall lead of 284. Australia need a win to square the series.
Australia had the better of the early play as South Africa slipped from their strong overnight position of 222 for three to 266 for seven.
But Vernon Philander and Dale Steyn fought back for the hosts with an unbroken eighth wicket stand of 48 to nudge their side ahead again in an evenly-contested match.
Pat Cummins, Australia`s 18-year-old fast bowling discovery, again made the first breakthrough, tempting AB de Villiers into a drive and having him caught at second slip for 73, after only 15 runs had been added to the overnight total.
It ended a fourth wicket partnership of 147 between De Villiers and Hashim Amla.
Amla completed his 14th Test century and his second of the series but South Africa then suffered a double blow when Ashwell Prince was run out for two after a mix-up with Amla, to be followed by Amla, who was caught behind off Mitchell Johnson for 105, scored in 332 minutes off 243 balls with 14 fours.
Amla was dismissed after the second new ball was due and Michael Clarke`s decision to delay taking it seemed to be justified when offspinner Nathan Lyon had Mark Boucher caught at slip for 13.
But Philander and Steyn added 28 more runs before the new ball was taken after 96 overs, then survived another nine overs before lunch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report