Australia vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Bailey helps hosts post 300, Clarke out with injured leg

Australia made 300 for eight after losing the toss and being sent in to bat in the first one-day international against South Africa at the WACA Ground on Friday.

Australia vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Bailey helps hosts post 300, Clarke out with injured leg

Perth: George Bailey was dropped four times en route to an innings-salvaging 70 as Australia posted 300-8 after being sent in to bat in the series-opening limited-overs international against South Africa here on Friday.

Australia started positively, with David Warner (46) and Aaron Finch (35) racing to 94 before both openers were dismissed within three balls from Vernon Philander (4-45).

Australia skipper Michael Clarke scratched around for 11 before he was caught behind, gloving an attempted pull shot off Dale Steyn to give the South African paceman the upper hand in their acrimonious rivalry. Clarke injured his left hamstring in the process and withdrew from the remainder of the match.

He will undergo tests tomorrow before any decision is made on his participation in the rest of the series.

The total appeared insufficient after a stop-start innings from Australia, which started cautiously.

Finch had a reprieve on 1 when he successfully challenged an LBW decision.

With communications between on-field and TV umpire broadcast for the first time for TV viewers, Billy Bowden overturned the initial call because the ball was high and straying down legside.

Warner went on the attack in the next over, hitting the first six, and helping Australia pass 50 in the ninth.

Australia clobbered legspinner Imran Tahir for 15 runs in the 14th over but Philander altered the course of the game in the 15th when he dismissed Warner to a low, tumbling outfield catch from Ryan McLaren and had Finch caught behind.

Clarke was next out and, after Bailey was dropped twice on 2 - by David Miller off Morne Morkel and by Tahir putting down a regulation caught-and-bowled chance - Australia ran out of such luck when Shane Watson was out sweeping Tahir to Morkel at short fine leg, putting the hosts on 130-4.

Bailey steered the middle order out of serious trouble, despite being dropped again on 38 and 47, before he was well caught in the deep by Faf du Plessis to give Steyn (2-62) his second wicket.

Bailey was the stand-in captain for Clarke for the remainder of the match. Regular vice-captain Brad Haddin is missing the series after injuring his shoulder in the 2-0 Test series loss to Pakistan last month.

Matthew Wade, Haddin's replacement as wicketkeeper, was out for 35 late in the innings.