Australia vs South Africa, 2nd Test: Skipper Smith slams ton after Morkel takes five-for on day 2
Zeenews Sports Bureau
SOUTH AFRICA Over: 67 II Score: 217/2 (Smith 111*, Rudolph 25*)
Led by captain Graeme Smith, who scored a century, South Africa have begun well in response to Australia’s first innings total of 550/10. The day belonged to the visiting team as they first picked the remaining six Oz wicket for just 68 runs. Morne Morkel took 5/146. By the end of the third day’s play, South Africa had lost two wickets (Peterson and Amla) with Smith and Rudolph still batting.
SOUTH AFRICA Over: 60 II Score: 197/2 (Smith 102*, Rudolph 14*)
Graeme Smith has completed his 26th Test century. He reached the milestone with a boundary of Nathan Lyon. South Africa lost their second wicket in Hashim Amla who was stumped by Wade after he charged down the track for a drive but missed it giving ample time to the keeper to dislodge the bails. He scored 11 (26b, 4X2).
SOUTH AFRICA Over: 49 II Score: 163/1 (Smith 83*, Amla 10*)
Australia managed to get a breakthrough after a rookie mistake from Alviro Peterson saw him being run out after a direct hit from Michael Hussey shattered the stumps as he didn’t drag his bat in on time. He scored 54 (112b, 4X7).
SOUTH AFRICA (AT TEA) Over: 35 II Score: 117/0 (Smith 57*, Peterson 47*)
Openers Grame Smith and Alviro Peterson have begun the reply to Australian’s first innings total on a strong note completing a hundred-run partnership for the first wicket. Skipper Smith has completed his half-century while Peterson is just three runs away from the milestone.
Earlier, South Africa wasted no time in wrapping up the Australian tail on the second day of the Adelaide Test on Friday. The hosts, who had a field day on the opening day of the second Test, were posted 550/10 in their first innings as Morne Morkel took five wickets.
The visitors faced four overs before the lunch was taken without any damage.
In a stark contrast to the Oz innings on the first day when they scored 482/5, the Proteas took their remaining five wickets while giving away just 68 runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video