Australia vs South Africa: Michael Clarke leads reply with a double ton
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Brisbane: Captain Michael Clarke scored his third double century this year to put Australia in a comfortable position against world number one team South Africa at the end of the fourth day of the first Test match at Gabba, Brisbane.
Australian opener Ed Cowan also scored his maiden ton in his eighth Test match and against arguably the best attack in world cricket.
The home team are 4-487 and currently lead by just 33 runs, and they will set their rivals a small, but tricky total tomorrow hoping to somehow bowl them out within two sessions.
The pitch is one of the flattest ever witnessed at the Gabba, but the Australian team believe it will deteriorate and bring their spinner Nathan Lyon into play.
Clarke stole the show on Monday, notching a sublime double century to be not out 218 overnight.
Playing for his Test future, Cowan reminded everyone that traditional openers still have a place in modern cricket by crafting his maiden Test century.
Veteran Mike Hussey has also stroked a half-century at good pace and is unbeaten on 86.
Australia (1st innings) Overs: 121 II Score: 487/4
Australian captain Michael Clarke registered his third double century of the year to lead his team out of troubled waters on the penultimate day of the Gabba Test on Monday.
At stumps, Clarke was batting on 218 (350b, 21X4) along with Mr. Cricket Michael Hussey (86*) as the hosts were leading South Africa by 37 runs with six wickets in hand.
Australia (1st innings) Overs: 116.2 II Score: 458/4
Australian captain Michael Clarke has completed his double century against South Africa with a double. He is currently batting on 200 (335b, 19X4). Batting with him is another Michael who is on 75.
Australia (1st innings) Overs: 115 II Score: 453/4
Australia were in complete charge of the first Test after they surpassed the South African total as Michael Clarke (196*) and Michael Hussey (74*) continued to pile on the runs. The only success for the visitors has come in the form of Ed Cowan who departed after scoring his maiden Test ton.
Australia (1st innings) Overs: 87 II Score: 306/4
Nearing Tea, Ed Cowan lost his wicket via a run out while backing up. The lefty scored his debut Test century and scored 136 (257b, 4X17) before being run out by Dale Steyn. On the other hand, Michael Clarke completed a century of his own and rescued the Australian innings adding 259 runs with Cowan.
Australia recovered from the early blows they suffered at the hands of South African bowlers on the third day as opener Ed Cowan and skipper Michael Clarke continued to frustrate them on the penultimate day of the first Test at Gabba on Monday.
Cowan completed his maiden Test century after lunch while Clarke was nearing on his ton of his own. Together they have added 200 runs for the fourth wicket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family