Australia vs South Africa: Plessis scores century to help Proteas escape with a draw
Zeenews Sports Bureau
South Africa: Over: 147 II Score: 248/8 (2nd innings) (Plessis 110*, Morkel 8*)
An exciting finish to an engrossing game of Test cricket! A late charge from the Australian bowlers saw the South African lower order looking set to crumble. Thanks to a brilliant century from debutant Faf du Plessis and some resolute show from the tail the Proteas managed to stave off the pressure and held their nerves to escape with a draw. Not to forget is the contribution from Jacques Kallis who fought through an injury to help his side avoid a certain defeat.
The caravan now moves to Perth where the third Test gets underway from November 30.
South Africa: Over: 147 II Score: 240/8 (2nd innings) (Plessis 110*, Morkel 0*)
South Africa are eight wickets down. Australia need only two wickets to win the Test. Dale Steyn was the seventh wicket to fall after being caught by Quiney off Siddle. He was out on duck. Rory Kleinveldt lasted 17 deliveries before being bowled by an inswinging delivery from Siddle.
South Africa: Over: 129 II Score: 233/6 (2nd innings) (Plessis 106*, Steyn 0*)
Faf Du Plessis has scored a century on his Test debut for South Africa. It has been a brilliant knock considering the pressure in which it has come. However, his partner Jacques Kallis’ resistance came to an end after he got an edge that went to short leg after hitting him on the pads. He scored 46 (110b, 4X6). The match that Australia would have thought is nearing a draw has suddenly come alive. A crucial final hour for both the teams.
South Africa: Over: 115 II Score: 202/5 (2nd innings) (Plessis 90*, Kallis 32*)
Kallis and Plessis have kept the Proteas flag flying with a fighting partnership. Plessis is nearing a Test century on debut – an achievement that he would cherish not just because it came in his first Test but also because of the circumstances under which it has come. This is if he reaches the three figure mark. Providing him company is a veteran of 156 Tests who is fighting injury and the charging Australian bowlers to salvage a draw for his team.
South Africa: Over: 107 II Score: 139/5 (2nd innings) (Plessis 83*, Kallis 23*)
The current partnership is now worth 51 runs. Plessis hit two back to back boundaries off Ben Hilfenhaus through extra cover and to midwicket region. In the next over, Kallis did the same to Warner by scoring two consecutive fours to midwicket.
South Africa: Over: 90 II Score: 139/5 (2nd innings) (Plessis 56*, Kallis*)
In their quest to chase a world record target of 430 runs to win the second Test, South Africa were tottering as they had lost four wickets at the score of 77 runs on the penultimate day. However, their hopes of a draw were renewed as the pair of AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis added 89 runs for the fifth wicket. Peter Siddle broke the partnership by cleaning up De Villiers. He scored 33 (220b). The strike rate of 15 indicates his resolve that ultimately was broken as Jacques Kallis came in to bat despite his injured hamstring.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets