Australian cricketer Luke Pomersbach retires due to depression
Brisbane: Explosive former Australian T20 batsman Luke Pomersbach announced his retirement from professional cricket on Thursday to deal with depression.
Pomersbach only played one T20 for Australia in 2007 but his hard-hitting exploits earned him contracts with the Kings XI Punjab and Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League.
He has most recently been playing for the Queensland Bulls and Brisbane Heat.
"We appreciate the difficulties and challenges that Luke faces with his illness," said Queensland Cricket chief Geoff Cockerill.
"The most important thing is that Luke continues to receive the necessary treatment and has the best possible support available to him.
"To this end, Queensland Cricket has put into place a number of measures to assist Luke to fund the additional medical and other expenses associated with his ongoing treatment and recovery."
Pomersbach, 29, had a history of off-field misdemeanours. He said he appreciated the support he had been given by Queensland Cricket and his teammates over the years.
"Especially over the past couple of months leading up to this difficult decision to leave professional cricket so that I can put all my efforts into getting better and making a full recovery," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands