Australian cricketer Luke Pomersbach retires due to depression
Brisbane: Explosive former Australian T20 batsman Luke Pomersbach announced his retirement from professional cricket on Thursday to deal with depression.
Pomersbach only played one T20 for Australia in 2007 but his hard-hitting exploits earned him contracts with the Kings XI Punjab and Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League.
He has most recently been playing for the Queensland Bulls and Brisbane Heat.
"We appreciate the difficulties and challenges that Luke faces with his illness," said Queensland Cricket chief Geoff Cockerill.
"The most important thing is that Luke continues to receive the necessary treatment and has the best possible support available to him.
"To this end, Queensland Cricket has put into place a number of measures to assist Luke to fund the additional medical and other expenses associated with his ongoing treatment and recovery."
Pomersbach, 29, had a history of off-field misdemeanours. He said he appreciated the support he had been given by Queensland Cricket and his teammates over the years.
"Especially over the past couple of months leading up to this difficult decision to leave professional cricket so that I can put all my efforts into getting better and making a full recovery," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- REVEALED: Outdoing Virat Kohli makes AB de Villiers 'proud' - Here's why!
- Birthday special: Anushka Sharma is the selfie queen of Bollywood! Here's a proof
- UNBELIEVABLE! CEO of Baba Ramdev's Patanjali Ayurved works for 15 hours/day but takes no salary!
- Technology has opened up our cinema to everybody: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style