Australian selectors eyeing Wade for deputy role
Sydney: Australian cricketer Matthew Wade has reportedly emerged as a leading candidate for the role of vice-captain for the one-day side for the ICC Champions Trophy.
The selectors turned their eyes towards Wade following the unavailability of new deputy Brad Haddin for the Champions Trophy because of his Australia A commitments.
Wade, who lost the wicket-keeping duties to Haddin in the Test side, would be competing for the role along with David Warner and George Bailey.
The appointment would be a consolation for Wade, who was initially lauded as Haddin`s long-term replacement, only to be dropped for the veteran wicketkeeper a year later.
Meanwhile, the report mentioned that fast-bowler Mitchell Johnson is expected to be named in the squad after being left out of both the Ashes and Australia A squads, while Mitchell Starc, who is recovering from ankle surgery, will also be included.
The Australians, who have been installed as equal favourites with South Africa to raise the trophy by bookmakers, will open their campaign against England at Edgbaston on June 8, while Sri Lanka and New Zealand are the other teams rounding out Group A.
Australia have won the previous two Champions Trophy tournaments - in India in 2006 and South Africa in 2009 - and selectors are likely to stick with a similar ODI squad to that which played against Sri Lanka and the West Indies in Australia last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’