Australia's David Warner in trouble again
Sydney: Controversial Australia batsman David Warner was in more trouble after being disciplined by Cricket New South Wales for failing to show up for a grade game last weekend.
The explosive opener, who has fallen from grace after a series of incidents that culminated in his punching of England`s Joe Root earlier this year, was supposed to turn out for club side Randwick Petersham on Saturday.
But he failed to show, preferring a net session instead. Reports also suggested that he attended a horse racing meeting, although this was not confirmed.
Cricket NSW handed him a suspended one-match ban in place for the rest of the one-day and Sheffield Shield season and ordered him to undertake two visits to other grade clubs to promote an anti-drink driving campaign.
"This has been an unfortunate episode. Like most cricket fans, I and all at Cricket NSW would like nothing more than to see David Warner achieve his potential on and off the field," Cricket NSW chief Andrew Jones said.
"However, in order to do this David needs to ensure that he is doing the right things and working closely with the organisation in all areas."
Warner said he believed he was acting appropriately.
"I believed I was doing the right thing by focusing on my training and batting, but in hindsight I should have played. I remain determined to score runs for NSW and Australia," he said.
Warner missed the first two Ashes Tests against England this year after being suspended for punching Root in a Birmingham bar.
He was then dropped for the one-day matches against England and returned home early to Australia. Warner also missed selection for Australia`s upcoming one-day series in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today
- Akshay Kumar looks dapper in the brand new poster of ‘Rustom’