Australia’s Hughes can stand the heat
Melbourne: Former Australia opener Justin Langer has backed Phillip Hughes to make England captain Andrew Strauss eat his words and stand up to the English attack if selected for the third Test.
Hughes is likely to replace Simon Katich in Perth next week after the veteran opener was ruled out with an Achilles injury.
A recall would present a major psychological Test for Hughes, who was found wanting against short-pitched bowling in England last year and roughed up by the hosts’ seamers in the lost Ashes series.
Strauss acknowledged that Hughes had worked on his technique but said the 22-year-old had “weaknesses” England could exploit as they look to take a 2-0 lead in the series on the usually fast and bouncy track at Perth’s WACA ground.
We at Zeecric.com bring you the excerpts.
“I will back him over any other player in Australian cricket,” Langer told local media on Friday.
“I hope England keep taunting him ... When the pressure is on and he absolutely has to score runs, he does. He is a little fighter.
“It’s fine for them to say they have these plans (for Hughes) but they’ve still got to execute them.”
Hughes holds an impressive 51.25 average from his seven Tests but has struggled for consistency in recent first-class digs, book-ending big scores with single-digit innings.
Langer said he had worked with Hughes after he sought him out to work on his batting and felt his problems had been more mental than technical.
“Maybe he is just trying too hard to get back into the Australian team,” said Langer, whose partnership with fellow retiree Matthew Hayden regularly plundered England attacks.
Hughes could be one of up to four changes in the Australian side, with spinner Xavier Doherty expected to be cut after being flayed during the second Test at Adelaide.
A big cloud hangs over out-of-form batsman Marcus North, while either Doug Bollinger or Peter Siddle are expected to make way for paceman Mitchell Johnson, who Australian coaches have been frantically working on in the nets this week.
Australia are expected to name their side later on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly