Australia’s ICC T20 ranking plummets below Ireland after loss to Pak in thriller
Dubai: Australia went below Ireland to the 10th spot in the ICC Twenty20 rankings following their defeat at the hands of Pakistan in a one-over eliminator on the last ball of their second T20 tie.
After both teams were tied on 151 after 20 overs, Australia batted first and scored 11 in six balls.
Led by Umar Akmal and Abdul Razzaq, Pakistan reached 11 on the fifth ball before Akmal hit Patrick Cummins``s last delivery and just made his ground before the throw.
Pakistan were 0-10 with one ball left. However Cummins bowled a wide, then Pakistan claimed a quick single from the next delivery to notch an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the three-match series.
Skipper George Bailey said Pakistan would have been victorious if there was a tie in the extra over, as they hit two boundaries while Australia only scored one.
The final match is on Monday night in Dubai, the AAP reports.
Baily, however remained skeptical over the way the ranking system worked, especially as his side had never played against Ireland before.
“It (a ranking of 10th) doesn`t look very good. I`m still not sure how the rankings work. So Ireland go past us tonight. I`m not sure if we`ve ever played Ireland in a T20. Make of that what you will. If Ireland are a better side than us, then I guess they`ll show it in a couple of weeks in Sri Lanka,” Bailey said.
Australia showed improvement on their second-lowest total ever of 89 on Wednesday in a seven-wicket defeat, and Bailey said he’s taking plenty of positives out of Friday`s performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks