Australia’s ICC T20 ranking plummets below Ireland after loss to Pak in thriller
Dubai: Australia went below Ireland to the 10th spot in the ICC Twenty20 rankings following their defeat at the hands of Pakistan in a one-over eliminator on the last ball of their second T20 tie.
After both teams were tied on 151 after 20 overs, Australia batted first and scored 11 in six balls.
Led by Umar Akmal and Abdul Razzaq, Pakistan reached 11 on the fifth ball before Akmal hit Patrick Cummins``s last delivery and just made his ground before the throw.
Pakistan were 0-10 with one ball left. However Cummins bowled a wide, then Pakistan claimed a quick single from the next delivery to notch an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the three-match series.
Skipper George Bailey said Pakistan would have been victorious if there was a tie in the extra over, as they hit two boundaries while Australia only scored one.
The final match is on Monday night in Dubai, the AAP reports.
Baily, however remained skeptical over the way the ranking system worked, especially as his side had never played against Ireland before.
“It (a ranking of 10th) doesn`t look very good. I`m still not sure how the rankings work. So Ireland go past us tonight. I`m not sure if we`ve ever played Ireland in a T20. Make of that what you will. If Ireland are a better side than us, then I guess they`ll show it in a couple of weeks in Sri Lanka,” Bailey said.
Australia showed improvement on their second-lowest total ever of 89 on Wednesday in a seven-wicket defeat, and Bailey said he’s taking plenty of positives out of Friday`s performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency