Australia’s surprise selection Maxwell hopes to play Tests too
Melbourne: Cricket Australia’s surprise selection for the series against Pakistan Glenn Maxwell believes he can play in all three cricketing formats for his country.
Maxwell has been chosen in the one-day international squad alongside other youngsters Callum Ferguson and James Pattinson. Maxwell received an email from John Inverarity informing about his selection in the squad.
“He emailed me last week and said he was going to be in Hampshire. I didn’t think anything of it, I just thought he wanted to catch up. It wasn’t until later on that I realised how stupid I was thinking that,” Maxwell told The Age.
“The last 12 hours have been a little bit mind-blowing. I’m not really sure what’s going on. Obviously it’s good timing to be selected before a World Cup. If that does come around and I do do well in these UAE games, I’ll be really hoping to be a part of that squad,” he said.
Injury mid-way through last summer’s Big Bash League ruined Maxwell’s bid for a limited-overs call-up, although he insisted he had already “knocked that [selection speculation] down pretty quickly ... I felt I had to earn my spot.”
Maxwell insists his self-belief will grow just from being there.
“Even if I’m not as successful as I have been at domestic level, I don’t think it’s going to affect me too much in my aspirations to play all three formats for the country,” he said.
“If I do play a game I just hope I can take that first opportunity and stick around the squad as long as I can. If I can do enough to put headaches in selectors`` minds [once injured players regain fitness] I’ll be happy with that,” Maxwell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure