Awana rocks Central to guide North to Deodhar Trophy final
Dharamsala: Delhi speedster Parvinder Awana took six for 49 as North Zone defeated Central by 22 runs to make it to the final of the Deodhar Trophy on Sunday.
Put into bat, Harbhajan Singh-led North made 289 for eight in their 50 overs and then restricted Central to 267 for nine with Awana taking six for 49 in his 10 overs.
North will meet West Zone in the final on Tuesday. The major contributors for North were Services man Yashpal Singh who smashed 83 off 70 balls with eight boundaries and three sixes while Paras Dogra hit 71 off 83 balls with six fours and three sixes. Delhi veteran Rajat Bhatia`s 30-ball 40 also helped in taking North`s total close to 300.
India speedster Umesh Yadav had an off-day as he went for 68 runs off his 10 overs. Shailendra Gehlot was pick of the Central bowlers taking three for 59 while Bhuveneshwar Kumar got two for 45.
While Bhuvneshwar Kumar (51), Mohammed Kaif (60) and Ashok Menaria (51) scored half centuries but Awana and Rishi Dhawan (2/52) bowled well and picked up wickets at crucial times to stem the flow of runs as pressure increased.
Ashish Yadav (24 not out 1x4, 2x6) hit a few lusty blows but it came too late in the day as he didn`t have adequate support at the other end. North skipper Harbhajan Singh bowled nine wicketless overs giving away 51 runs in the process.
Brief Scores: North Zone 289/8 (Yashpal Singh 83, P Dogra 71, Rajat Bhatia 40).
Central Zone 267/9 (Md Kaif 60, B Kumar 51, A Menaria 51, P Awana 6/49). North won by 22 runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre