Axing Kevin Pieterson took lots of guts, admits Alastair Cook
Zee Media Bureau
London: Alastair Cook finally opened up on the events leading to the axing of flambouyant batsman Kevin Pietersen. The England Test cricket captain said that it took lots of guts and consideration to let go a player of Pietersen`s stature.
The South Africa born Pietersen was relaid the news of his axing on February 4 by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB). Popularly known as KP, the 33-year-old middle-order batsman was still the all-time leading run scorer for England in all formats of the game.
The witch-hunting after the debacle have occupied public domain for a long time and have forced team director Andy Flower to resign in January. Speaking to a leading channel, Cook affirmed that English cricket team`s dressing room would be stronger without KP.
After the Ashes whitewash down-under, the ECB constituted a three-man panel for the post-mortem. Cook added that, he – being a member of the panel, already knew that it will become public soon.
Pledging to work with the team and help restore team unity, Cook continued that “We all know how important team culture and team unity is.” After KP`s axing, the board reinstated Flower as Test coach, splitting duties with Ashley Giles. The former England spinner now takes care of limited-overs formats.
The ECB later declared through a statement that “England team needs to rebuild after the whitewash in Australia.”
“To do that we (ECB) must invest in our captain Alastair Cook and we must support him in creating a culture in which we can be confident he will have the full support of all players, with everyone pulling in the same direction and able to trust each other,” it further stated.
Finally, it explained KP`s axing by saying "It is for those reasons we have decided to move on without Kevin Pietersen."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video