Azharuddin expresses desire to coach Team India
London: Former captain Mohammad Azharuddin has expressed his desire to coach the India cricket team in future if the BCCI approaches him with an offer.
"Whatever little cricket I have played, I have a learnt a lot and I would like to impart those skills to young players. It is up to the board (BCCI) to use me in the best way. I would certainly like to be involved with Indian cricket," Azhar said.
"It is the board`s prerogative to decide on that (coaching the Indian team), but I am available in any capacity for the benefit of Indian cricket," added Azhar, who was the chief guest at an India-Pakistan students` friendly match at Lord`s stadium as part of the London School of Economics annual India Week.
In November last year, the Andhra Pradesh High Court had lifted the life ban on Azharuddin imposed by the BCCI for his alleged involvement in match-fixing.
The 49-year-old Congress MP from Moradabad said it`s high time to inject fresh blood in the side to prepare the team for the future.
"The team needs some new blood. It is important that young players are given the chance to play. The IPL format has been good for the game in that sense, as it has thrown up some very good players.
"Being able to play across all formats requires a lot of skill and there are some very talented players coming up. It is time to inject them into the team," he said.
Azhar said he heaved a sigh of relief when the High Court overturned the life ban imposed on him.
"I am just happy to be cleared. I now look forward to helping people as a cricketer and politician. I entered the field of politics to be able to do some good," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today