Azharuddin expresses desire to coach Team India
London: Former captain Mohammad Azharuddin has expressed his desire to coach the India cricket team in future if the BCCI approaches him with an offer.
"Whatever little cricket I have played, I have a learnt a lot and I would like to impart those skills to young players. It is up to the board (BCCI) to use me in the best way. I would certainly like to be involved with Indian cricket," Azhar said.
"It is the board`s prerogative to decide on that (coaching the Indian team), but I am available in any capacity for the benefit of Indian cricket," added Azhar, who was the chief guest at an India-Pakistan students` friendly match at Lord`s stadium as part of the London School of Economics annual India Week.
In November last year, the Andhra Pradesh High Court had lifted the life ban on Azharuddin imposed by the BCCI for his alleged involvement in match-fixing.
The 49-year-old Congress MP from Moradabad said it`s high time to inject fresh blood in the side to prepare the team for the future.
"The team needs some new blood. It is important that young players are given the chance to play. The IPL format has been good for the game in that sense, as it has thrown up some very good players.
"Being able to play across all formats requires a lot of skill and there are some very talented players coming up. It is time to inject them into the team," he said.
Azhar said he heaved a sigh of relief when the High Court overturned the life ban imposed on him.
"I am just happy to be cleared. I now look forward to helping people as a cricketer and politician. I entered the field of politics to be able to do some good," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!