Bacher agrees to give verbal statement on alleged 2003 World Cup pay-off
Johannesburg: Former Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief Ali Bacher is expected to explain the alleged payment of Rand five million in bonuses when the country’s sports ministry`s inquiry into cricket resumes in Pretoria on Tuesday.
It maybe recalled that CSA CEO Gerald Majola had pointed fingers at Bacher last December, telling the inquiry committee that Bacher had pocketed Rand five million after the 2003 Cricket World Cup, which was hosted by South Africa.
According to Sports24, Bacher accepted a request from the committee, chaired by Judge Chris Nicholson, to give a verbal statement and he will face the inquiry.
The Sports Ministry said "more days and witnesses" could be added to the schedule.
The committee received over 30 written submissions and interviewed 20 or more witnesses last year.
After further submissions this week, a final report would be handed to Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula by the end of February.
Mbalula is not obliged to accept the committee`s recommendations.
The Nicholson inquiry was announced by Mbalula after auditing firm KPMG recommended that CSA``s remuneration and travel allowance policy be reviewed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH