Bagai blames shoddy bowling and fielding for defeat
Mumbai: Canadian skipper Ashish Bagai on Sunday blamed his team`s shoddy bowling and fielding for the 97-run defeat to New Zealand in a Group A match of the cricket World Cup here on Sunday.
"If there was going to be help for the seamers, it would have been in the first hour. We bowled too short, too wide. They put the team under pressure. We didn`t bowl in the right areas," said Bagai, who top-scored for his team with a valiant 84 off 87 balls with the help of 10 fours.
"The fielding was probably the worst we had in a long time. We dropped catches. Our ground fielding was also poor. It was a collective poor fielding effort," said the stumper.
Bagai said rival skipper Ross Taylor`s whirlwind knock of 74 off just 44 balls was crucial to New Zealand nearly touching 300.
"We were in the game for about 35 overs. Ross changed the game. From a score of 290 (that they looked like getting) they went on to get 360. Ross took away the game in the middle overs. He is a quality player," he said.
"Chasing 360 was difficult. (We) lost a couple of early wickets. We had a decent partnership but never kept up (with the asking rate)," Bagai said.
"We tried to get run a ball as we had some guys (down the order) could hit the ball. The last chance was to have ten an over towards the end. That was our intention. They took the pace off the ball. It was difficult to score," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note