Bailey says India ODI tour will count as much as Shield season for Ashes selection
Sydney: Australian captain for the India tour George Bailey has assured the players that they need not fear missing the start of the domestic Sheffield Shield season as their good form in the one-day international tour of India will count for the return Ashes series as much as in the Shield.
The 14-man Australian squad for the India tour has only all-rounders Shane Watson, James Faulkner and wicketkeeper Brad Haddin from the squad of the fifth Ashes Test at the Oval in August.
According to News.com.au, Bailey said that coach Darren Lehmann and national selector John Inverarity had made it clear that performing well on the India tour will be looked upon in the same regard for the return Ashes series as the players playing in the domestic tournament.
Stating that there are no excuses for the players in the India tour to be worried about their Ashes selection , Bailey, who is captaining in the absence of injured Michael Clarke, further said that even though Shield more closely resembles Test cricket format, scoring runs at international level, even in ODIs, would also be looked upon favourably.
However, Bailey also said that the players would have an opportunity to play in the Shield and score runs as it will go on till November 6 whereas the India tour will end on November 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'