Bangladesh beat Netherlands by six wickets
Chittagong: Bangladesh defeated Netherlands by six wickets in their group B match of the cricket World Cup at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium.
With the exception of Ryan ten Doeschate (53 not out), Dutch batsmen struggled to score against Bangladesh`s miserly spin attack on the slow track at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium.
Captain Shakib Al Hasan, Suhrawadi Shuvo and Abdur Razzak`s left-arm deliveries flummoxed Peter Borren`s men, who struggled to find the gaps in the field to build up any form of momentum in their innings.
The spinners shared five wickets between them with Razzak proving to be the most destructive as he finished with 3-29.
The Dutch also pressed the self-destruct button as Eric Szwarczynski (28), Tom Cooper (29), Borren (3) and last man Adeel Raja (0) ran themselves out chasing tight runs.
Ten Doeschate, who scored a brilliant century against England in their opening World Cup match, again produced some fluent strokes to delight the smattering of Dutch supporters in the crowd but eventually ran out of partners.
He was dropped on 14 by Imrul Kayes at midwicket and made the most of his let off by slashing Razzak to the boundary to complete his half-century off 65 balls.
While victory over the winless Dutch will help Bangladesh to get one step closer to a quarter-final spot, the co-hosts will want to knock off the runs as quickly as possible since it may come down to net run rate to decide who goes through from Group B to the last eight if teams are tied on points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead